Friday 1 June 2012

New Forest area - 29 May 2012


Utilising time owed from work I took today off and headed to the New Forest area. What a change to the journey on Saturday, little traffic heading south, all heading north to London, at times moving not being part of the experiance.

First stop was Pignall Enclosure where at least 30+ Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were seen, along with a singing male Redstart and at least four Crossbill flying over.

Pearl-bordered Fritilliary


A quick stop off at Hatchet Moor produced a pair of Dartford Warblers and several pairs of Stonechat with young.

The plan was then to visit Hordle Cliff and Hurst spit. I was unaware that the Hordle Granvilles had died out and I did not pick any up at Hurst either, but I had unwittingly driven past a release colony at Wrecclesham in Surrey where apparently numerous individuals were on the wing.

To finish the day off I had a wander around Keyhaven and Pennington Marshes where I failed to locate the Black-winged Stilt but did pick up 27 Black-tailed Godwits, including an Icelandic cr bird and an adult Mediterranean Gull. A couple of Walls were seen during the walk.